[KY4KY] DXers information

BS bskc4wq at windstream.net
Mon Nov 4 08:10:28 PST 2013

The ARRL DX Advisory Committee will soon take up the subject of *Remote
Operation* as it relates to the *DXCC Award program*. As Amateur Radio
advances in the age of newer technology, the use of the Internet to
utilize remote stations is becoming more simplified, more widespread,
and marketed as a means for some to have /superstation/ access through a
single Internet connection, coupled with a yearly fee. For a growing
number, this is a means to fully enjoy the hf aspect of Amateur Radio.

I am collecting opinions from the Derby City DX Association membership
on the use of remote stations within the DXCC Award program and will
consolidate into a club position.

*Shall contacts made through a remote station count toward the DXCC
Award program?*

Points to consider:

•Access and use of remote stations for the purpose of achieving DXCC,
and other DX related awards, place those doing so at great advantages,
no longer blocked by typical hourly or geographical propagation hurdles.

•A station on the East coast could utilize a remote station on the West
coast for a rare DX entity contact on 160m that would be profoundly
difficult given normal propagation and hourly band conditions.

What's your opinion on this subject?

As it pertains to the DXCC Award program, many of the rules associated
with the program are designed for those that are self-policing, honest,
and embrace a high degree of personal integrity as it relates to our own
operating practices. One could say that any one single rule is
unenforceable, so therefore why have the rule. Amateur Radio, as well as
the DXCC Award program, relies heavily on the above noted personal
attributes of each participant.

Contest organizers are also wrangling with this issue as more and more
remote stations are becoming available for use by general Amateur Radio
community.

Should you have any thoughts, please forward them to ke4ky at arrl.net
<mailto:ke4ky at arrl.net>. Our club’s position will then be forwarded to
our regions DXAC Representative for his consideration.

Should you wish to respond, please have your responses to me by
*November 9th.*